Monday, April 5, 2010

I didn't order a wake up call

My phone rang at 6:30am this morning. It was, of course, the sub coordinator but I didn't answer. Last week I emailed her letting her know I would not be available to sub today, and she emailed back saying "ok, great, I'll take you off the list!"

I'm not sure which list I got taken off of, but it wasn't the "call at ass-early o'clock" list. Needless to say, I did not answer my phone because I was sleeping and I'm still in Favorite City, USA.

Ms. Sub Coordinator has made this mistake every single time I've gone on vacation this year. I email or call her, she is overly impressed that I take the time to let her know I'm not available (saving her the time of calling someone who isn't available) and then she calls me anyway. I am finally to the point of not answering. She figures it out. I probably am breaking some unspoken rule in the world of trying to get a job. Next fall when I'm still an underutilized credentialed and mastered educator, I can probably look back to this exact moment as the reason why: I didn't answer the sub call.

I don't hate her for it though. I remember what it was like to work in an office and do office tasks. I remember having my excel sheets for budgets and my make-shift databases and my cardboard alpha sorter and my friendly but moderately useless cube-mate. So I definitely understand that sometimes names just get lost in the shuffle. I also understand that it is not that difficult to keep a daily availability list.

One time I offered to turn a word document into a modifiable PDF. They thought I was cut out for management. I thought I was cut out for grad school. That's a whole other story.

No comments:

Post a Comment